D Academy Fellow Talks Grit – Lydia Varela
Lydia Varela is a 2015 D Academy fellow. Varela and seven other D Academy fellows put it all out on the Naked Stage to discuss grit.
NOT how Lydia got her groove back but How Lydia Got Her Grit!
GHG = Gotta Have Grit
- GHG: when you’re raised in a home full of women; mom left school at 13 in the 3rd grade, grandmother illiterate could only spell her name
- GHG: when you only meet your father once in your life & didn’t know it was him until he introduced himself as such
- GHG: you’re the 1st in family to graduate h.s. & go to college; graduated h.s. on a Friday night & left Sunday morning – never looked back!
- GHG: when you never stepped foot on any college/university campus until the day you registered for your Fall semester classes
- GHG: you take initiative to get involved and serve in leadership roles
- GHG: when you give yourself to someone, marry him and it doesn’t work out
- GHG: when you join a major corporation, grow, learn, evolve and become the subject matter expert
- GHG: when you leave a high paying corporate job to explore something else
- GHG: to manage fear!
- GHG: to reinvent yourself!
- GHG: when you create something, fail, fail again, pivot, adjust and make it happen bigger & better
- GHG: give yourself permission to try something else
- GHG: when you evolve that something else and facilitate the Xchange of conversations, connections, ideas and resources
- GHG: to review options
- GHG: to say YES! (Includes a new haircut)
- GHG: to be HAPPY!
- Hay que tener valor! – GET GRIT
— Lydia Varela